A group of key Zimbabwean civil society organizations released a joint statement in which they highlight their expectations of and requests to the emerging new Government of Zimbabwe.
In the statement they express their hope that the current transition will usher in a new era in Zimbabwe based on the recognition of all fundamental rights of all people.
They highlight 5 key issues that they believe are critical in the realization of their shared vision of a new, progressive, and better Zimbabwe:
- A commitment to inclusive, representative politics, including free & fair elections
- A commitment to constitutionalism and the rule of law
- A commitment to human and economic rights for all
- Peaceful and civilian government
- A commitment to reconciliation and national healing